How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
If you’re in the market for a new car, it’s worth considering selling your current car back to the dealership. This is an easy way to save money on your next car, as many dealerships let you put the value towards a new vehicle through a buyback program. You can also shop between different dealerships to try and get the best deal possible. We at Allen Turner Hyundai understand the importance of this process, so we’ve included everything you need to know about how to sell a car at a dealership below.
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
When selling your car to a dealership, you’ll need to make sure that you’ve gathered your car’s title, recorded its benefits and maintenance record, and cleaned it up as best you can. Here is the full process of what to expect of the selling process before you get to the dealership:
- Clean Up Your Car: Be sure to keep your car in top condition by washing and detailing it before taking it into the dealership, along with replacing worn-out parts like floor mats or windshield wipers.
- Write Down the Benefits Of Your Car: Keep a detailed record of any upgraded features and accessories that you added to your car, and make some notes about its maintenance record.
- Have Your Car’s Title on Hand: Showing up to the dealership with your car’s title means the dealer doesn’t have to look for it themselves, which saves time for both of you and may even get you an offer faster.
- Research Your Car’s Value: You can determine your current car’s value from a number of resources, such as Kelley Blue Book and Cars.com. These websites are great ways to calculate your trade-in value before you come to the dealership, so you’ll have a research-based number in mind when you arrive.
- Pick Your Dealership Wisely: You’ll want to pick a dealership based on the condition of the vehicle you hope to trade in. Most dealerships will take in gently-used newer vehicles, while used car dealerships will take in older cars.
What to Expect
Once you’ve picked out a dealership and gathered the necessary paperwork, here’s what to expect from the rest of the selling process:
- Make an Appointment: While you can take your car into the dealership without an appointment, scheduling beforehand tends to save time because the dealer can have their materials ready when you show up.
- Used Car Manager: When you get to the dealership, you’ll most likely meet with a manager who covers used car sales. Be sure to have your car’s information on hand, as the manager will need it to run a report history.
- Inspection: To make sure everything is in correct condition, the used car manager will likely conduct a detailed inspection of your car. They may do this themselves or perform the inspection via the dealership’s service center.
- Consider the Offer: After the dealership makes an offer on your vehicle, consider it carefully. You can either accept it or shop around at other dealerships for a better offer.
Benefits of Selling Your Car to a Dealership
There are multiple advantages to selling your car back through a dealership:
- Save Time & Avoid Hassles: If you choose to sell your car privately, you’ll have to deal with hassles like fielding buyers by yourself, listing your car online, and letting strangers into your home or car for a test drive. Selling via a dealership eliminates all of these concerns.
- Lower Your New Car Price: Selling your car at a dealership usually lets you apply your car’s value towards a new vehicle, which can lower your monthly lease payments or offset the buying price.
- Save on Your Taxes: When you trade in, you only pay taxes on the difference between the price of your current car and your new purchase.
Sell Your Car to Allen Turner Hyundai!
Allen Turner Hyundai makes it easy to trade in your current vehicle and lower the cost of your next Hyundai. Feel free to reach out to our office with any questions about the sales process, and be sure to check out our new vehicle inventory to start shopping for a great new Hyundai!
More from Allen Turner Hyundai
First introduced in 2020, the Hyundai SONATA has won numerous awards and become a standard pick for families seeking a midsize sedan. Sales for the SONATA are up 39% year over year, proving the model’s popularity. Hyundai’s tireless commitment to quality design and forward-thinking features is evident in every aspect of this vehicle. The 2024 Hyundai…
If there’s one thing Pensacolans know—besides our pristine beaches and rich history—it’s a great burger. In a place where the ocean breeze complements the aroma of grilling patties, Pensacola is a haven for burger enthusiasts. From smoky barbecued masterpieces to Irish-inspired delicacies, the options are endless. If you’re hungry for the best burgers in the…
If you’re interested in an all-electric vehicle, the Hyundai IONIQ and Tesla are sure to make it on your list of potential purchases. Though Tesla has long made a name for itself in this realm, Hyundai is making big waves in the market thanks to the automaker’s continued high standards and forward-thinking designs. At Allen…